What are club sports?
- Club Sports provide a competitive alternative to varsity athletics
- Schedules vary from team to team, many practice 3-4 times per week and play games against other schools
- Teams are run and organized by students
Wesleyan Club Sport Structure – supported by two groups
WESLEYAN STUDENT ASSEMBLY (WSA)
- Provides monetary and web site support to established teams.
- Teams must apply to WSA’s community outreach committee to receive official recognition.
- For details and info go to: http://wesleyan.edu/wsaoffice/.
WESLEYAN DEPT OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND ATHLETICS
- Provides practice and competition space and, at times, medical coverage to recognized teams
- Teams must apply to athletic director and club sports coordinator for official recognition.
- Team captains meet with club sports coordinator within first two weeks of semester to establish practice and game schedules.
Club Sports Recognized by Wesleyan’s Department of Physical Education and Athletics
- Ice Hockey
- Men's and Women's Rugby
- Men's/Women's Sailing
- Men's and Women's Soccer
- Men's, Women's and Co-ed Ultimate Frisbee
- Men's and Women's Water Polo
- Kung Fu
Club Sports Policy Agreement and Waiver
Facility space is limited. Therefore, we ask all new teams to go through an application process. Write a letter of application to the athletic director and club sports coordinator explaining why the team is needed and demonstrating the following:
1) Enough undergraduate interest to generate a complete roster that meets the sport’s requirments
2) An established and responsible leadership (team captains)
3) Interest from senior through freshman classes so team will sustain itself from year to year
4) A roster with a list of potential members and contact information
5) A list of potential intercollegiate opponents, if outside competition is planned
Once approved, teams receive probationary status with limited field access. This period generally lasts one full academic year.
Dept. Of Athletics Club Sports Coordinator - Kim Williams (x 2884, firstname.lastname@example.org)
WSA x 2401 - for a list of teams and team contact information go to www.wesleyan.edu/wsa (student group contact)