TUSCON, Ariz. - Marco Baratta '16 and Will O'Sullivan '17 each hit home runs as the Wesleyan University baseball team opened the 2016 season against Hamline University Sunday at the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Ariz., however, the Cardinals fell to the Pipers in seven innings, 29-14.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hamline used a nine run second inning and a 15 run third inning to build a commanding lead against the Cardinals.
- Wesleyan came right back with a 10 run fourth inning, but the deficit was too much for the Cardinals to overcome.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Baratta went 2-3 with three RBIs, two walks and a home run for Wesleyan.
- Senior Guy Davidson went 2-4 with two doubles and an RBI.
- Ryan Earle '19 got two hits and two RBIs for the Cardinals.
- The Cardinals had four players with multiple hits in the game.
- For the Pipers, Domenic Dandrea went 4-5 with four RBIs, and Dan Moro went 3-5 with four RBIs.
- Hamline saw eight players get multiple hits, and had four players with four or more RBIs.
- The Pipers outhit the Cardinals, 21-12.
- Wesleyan is back in action today and will face Bethany Lutheran College in a double-header. Game one is scheduled to start at 4:30 p.m. ET, and the first pitch of game two is scheduled for 8 p.m.
- The Pipers will return to the field in Tucson Fri., March 18 when they play a double-header against Carthage.