TUCSON, Ariz.- The Wesleyan University baseball team took on La Verne college in the first of two games on Saturday afternoon at Kino Field in Tucson Arizona, and were defeated by a score of 7-5. In the second game of the day, the Cardinals took on the University of Wisconsin Superior, and it took extras to decide a winner, with the Cardinals coming out on top after 11 innings, 9-8.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Leopards got out to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third as Chris Peres singled in Andrew Douglas for the first run of the game.
- The Cardinals answered as Marco Baratta '16 and Jordan Farber '16 knocked in runs in the top of the fourth to give Wesleyan a 2-1 lead.
- La Verne came back in the bottom of the seventh inning as a Ben White double plated two Leopards and gave La Verne the lead back at 3-2.
- Wesleyan answered with two runs of their own in the top of the eights as RBI singles by Guy Davidson '16 and Baratta gave the Cardinals the lead back at 4-3.
- The Leopards exploded in the bottom of the eight for four runs, highlighted by a Peres 2-run homerrun.
- The Cardinals would get a run across the plate in the top of the ninth, but it wasn't enough at La Verne would go onto win, 7-5.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Wisconsin-Superior got off to a fast start, scoring three runs in the second and two in the third inning. The Cardinals scored once in the third on a Davidson sacrifice fly, but the Yellowjackets would hold a 5- advantage heading into the fourth.
- In the sixth, the teams would exchange three run innings. Nick Miceli '17 knocked in a run on a single, and a Eric Jones '16 triple would plate two Cardinal runners. The Yellowjackets responded, taking advantage of Cardinal errors to score a run, and Travis Miller knocked a 2-run homerun to keep Wisconsin-Superior in the lead at 8-4.
- The Cardinals began to rally in the next three innings, as they held the Yellowjackets scoreless, while the offense was able to score four runs to tie the game at eight. Davidson doubled home two runners in the seventh, while Ellis Schaefer '17 and Miceli contributed RBIs in the eighth and ninth innings to send the game into extras.
- In the 11th inning, Farber tripled and would score the winning run on a Matt Jeye '18 single to give the Cardinals the 9-8 lead. Wesleyan would retire the Yellowjackets in the bottom of the inning to secure the 9-8 victory.