Mar 16, 2016
TUCSON, Ariz. - The Wesleyan University baseball team fell short in extra innings as they were defeated by Macalester College, 8-7 in ten innings Wednesday night at Kino Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Scots got out to an early three run lead as Nick Sia and Collin Brantner were both hit by pitches to force in runs. Nick McMullen then walked to force in the third Macalester run of the inning.
- The Cardinals responded with two runs in the bottom of the fourth, as RBIs by Nick Miceli '17 and Eric Jones '16 brought Wesleyan to within one at 3-2.
- Malcalester scored in both the fifth and sixth innings on RBIs by Craig Berk and Brantner to bring their lead to 5-2.
- Will O'Sullivan '17 would single in the sixth, scoring Miceli to bring the Scots' lead down to 5-3.
- Brantner would knock in two more runs for Macalester in the top of the eight, to extend their lead to 7-3.
- Down to their last at-bats in the bottom of the ninth, the Cardinals would rally to score four runs to tie the game. Jordan Farber '16 singled to score Ellis Schaefer '17, and Matt Jeye '18 would follow that with a single, which scored Guy Davidson '16 and Farber. Jones would then double, scoring Miceli with the tying run.
- The Scots would take the lead in the tenth with an RBI double by Nick McMullen to give them an 8-7 win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Jones went 2-4 with 2 RBIs, while Jeye went 3-5 with 2 RBIs of his own.
- Miceli would go 2-3 on the evening with an RBI.
- Brantner had a team high three hits and four RBIs for the Scots.
- Jonathan Melms went 3-4 on the day for Macalester.
- The Cardinals return to action tomorrow as they will take on Cal Lutheran at 7 p.m. followed by Carleton at 10:30 p.m. EST.
- The Scots will return to the diamond tomorrow to face Cal Tech in a double header beginning as 4:30 p.m.