TUCSON, Ariz.- The Wesleyan University baseball team completed its spring break trip in Arizona with a 5-1 defeat of Macalester College on Friday night at the Kino Sports Complex. Ethan Rode '17 was excellent on the mound, earning his second win of the year, as he pitched 6.1 innings allowing one run on five hits while striking out four.
- Macalester got on the board first, capitalizing on a fielding error by the Cardinals in the top of the first.
- Wesleyan responded in the bottom of the inning, scoring two runs on a fielding error by the Scots' center fielder.
- Jordan Farber '16 would extend the Wesleyan lead to 3-1 in the bottom of the fourth as he singled to right, allowing Andrew Keith '19 to cross the plate.
- In the sixth, the Cardinals added two more runs to bring their lead to 5-1. Guy Davidson '16 singled home Will O'Sullivan '17, and Marco Baratta '16 would later walk to force in Keith from third.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Nick Miceli '17 came in and pitched 2.2 innings of relief for Wesleyan, allowing no hits while striking out two.
- Keith led the Cardinals in hits, going 4-5 on the evening. Seven other Cardinals registered a hit on the evening.
- Sam Thomas pitched 5.2 innings for the Scots, allowing five runs (two earned) while striking out five Cardinals.
- The Cardinals will return home to face the Coast Guard Academy on Thurs., March 24. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.
- Macalester returns to the diamond today as they will face Cal Tech in a double header in Arizona. The first game will begin at 2 p.m.