MIDDLETOWN, Conn.- Nick Miceli '17 pitched 4.1 innings of scoreless relief, while Marco Baratta '16 knocked in four runs and Matt Jeye '18 knocked in three as the Wesleyan University baseball team defeated the visiting U.S. Coast Guard Academy, 11-5 Thursday afternoon at Dresser Diamond.
Coast Guard: 6-9
- The Bears got out to an early 1-0 advantage in the top of the first as Kyle Wood singled home Mark Behne for the first run of the game.
- The Cardinals responded in the bottom half of the inning as Jeye took a Dustin Reeder pitch over the left field wall for a two-run homerun to put the home team ahead, 2-1.
- Wesleyan increased its lead to 3-1 the following inning when Miceli scored on a wild pitch.
- Coast Guard loaded the bases in the top of the third, but Serna was picked off at first base by Cardinals catcher, Eric Jones '16, which ended the Bears' rally.
- Ellis Schaefer '17 singled to right to score Miceli in the fourth to put Wesleyan ahead, 4-1.
- Coast Guard rallied in the fifth as it sent 10 batters to the plate, and scored four runs to regain the lead. Serna got the Bears started with an RBI single which scored Timbo Duncan from third. A balk followed by two walks, which all brought in runs, put Coast Guard up 5-4.
- Miceli would come in to replace Mike McCaffery '19, who replaced Rantz earlier in the top of the fourth, and halted the Coast Guards bats.
- In the bottom of the inning, Baratta gave the Cardinals a 6-5 lead on a hard-hit double to right field, which scored Guy Davidson '16 and Jordan Farber '16.
- Wesleyan would add three more runs in the 7th on RBI singles by Jeye and Jones. Miceli also scored on a walk to bring the Cardinals lead to 9-5.
- The Cardinals would add extra insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth as Baratta laced a single to left, scoring Davidson and Will O'Sullivan '17.
- Miceli would give up a two-out double to Serna in the top of the ninth, but the Bears could not get him across home as the Cardinals would go on to win, 11-5.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Miceli allowed only two hits while striking out three, and is now 3-0 on the year.
- Jeye would go 2-3 on the afternoon with a homerun and three RBIs. He also scored two runs.
- Baratta went 2-4 with four RBIs.
- Davidson scored three runs while collecting two hits.
- For the Bears, Wood and Serna each had two hits and an RBI in the game.
- Reeder went six innings and struck out seven.
- The Cardinals will return to the diamond Wednesday, March 30 and will host Eastern Connecticut at 4 p.m.
- Coast Guard will play next this Saturday, March 26 and will travel to MIT to take on the Engineers in a double-header. Game one will begin at 12 p.m.