MIDDLETOWN, Conn. - Marco Baratta '16 went 2-4 with two RBIs, two runs scored and a stolen base, while Ethan Rode '17 pitched 6.2 innings allowing just two runs, as the Wesleyan University baseball team defeated the visiting Eastern Connecticut St. University baseball team 9-2 on Wednesday afternoon at Dresser Diamond at Andrus Field.
- The Cardinals opened up an early lead in the bottom of the first inning on a Guy Davidson '16 sacrifice fly which scored Andrew Keith '19 from third. Keith reached on a single and then stole second. He would advance to third on a wild pitch by Patrick O'Neill.
- Still in the bottom of the first, Jordan Farber '16 singled and would steal second and then score on Nick Miceli '17 single to give Wesleyan a 2-0 lead.
- Rode had his only hiccup of the game in the top of the third as he allowed a 2-run homerun to Ryan Hood, which tied the game at 2-2.
- The Cardinals scored runs in the third and fifth innings as they were able to capitalize on Warriors' errors in each inning. Wesleyan would take a 4-2 lead after five.
- Miceli would enter the game for Rode in the seventh, and he would walk the first two batters he faced to load the bases with two outs. He then got Chad Adams to ground out to end the Eastern scoring threat.
- The Cardinals erupted for a five run bottom of the eighth. Wesleyan scored all five of their runs with two outs in the inning. Farber and Baratta each singled home two runs in the inning, and Miceli drove home Baratta for the fifth run of the inning as the Cardinals would head to the ninth leading 9-2.
- Miceli would walk pinch hitter Will Coleman, but would then get Devin Belenski to ground into a double play, and Dale Keller would foul out right in front of the Wesleyan bench, and give the Cardinals the 9-2 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Rode earned his third win of the year as he pitched 6.2 stellar innings allowing seven hits and two runs while striking out six. He only surrendered one walk on the afternoon.
- Miceli earned his third save as he came in to pitch 2.1 innings of relief ball. He allowed no hits while striking out two and walking three. He also went 3-5 at the plate with 2 RBIs.
- Baratta and Farber each registered two hits and 2 RBIs in the game.
- Three through six in the Cardinals lineup were a combined 10-17 with six runs scored and six RBIs.
- Wesleyan took advantage on the basepaths, stealing four bases in the game.
- For Eastern, Hood went 2-3 on the day and Alex Zachary also chipped in two hits, going 2-3 as well.
- Jordan Muchin and Nick Rascati pitched a combined four innings in relief for the Warriors, allowing just three hits and one run with five combined strikeouts.
- Wesleyan will return to the diamond on Saturday, April 2nd as they will travel to Maine to open up league play against Colby College. The two teams will play two games, with game one scheduled to begin at noon.
- The Warriors will take the field next on Thursday, March 31st, as they will host Salve Regina at 3:30 p.m.