DARTMOUTH, Mass- The Wesleyan University baseball team took to the field against the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth on Wednesday afternoon, and after a ninth inning rally, fell short, losing in non-conference action, 7-6.
- The Cardinals got out to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the third inning as a passed ball would score Ellis Schaefer '17 to give Wesleyan a 1-0 lead. Matt Jeye '18 would then single home Guy Davidson '16 from third to give the Cardinals the two run lead.
- Wesleyan increased their lead to three with a Marco Baratta '16 single in the top of the fifth, which allowed Davidson to cross the plate with his second run of the day.
- The Corsaris got the Cardinals' lead down to one in the bottom of the inning thanks to a Josh O'Neill two run double.
- In the top of the sixth, a Nick Miceli '18 groundout would plate Will O'Sullivan '17 to give Wesleyan a 4-2 lead.
- UMass would score runs in innings 6-8 to give them a 7-4 advantage. In the bottom of the sixth, a Mac Curran double plated two runners to tie the game at 4. In the seventh, DeVon King would homer to give the Corsairs a 5-4 lead, and King would give the home team a three run lead with his single in the bottom of the eighth.
- The Cardinals would rally in the top of the ninth as Miceli walked to lead off the inning and was brought home on a Davidson homer to left. Davidson's second homerun of the year would bring the UMass lead to one at 7-6.
- Matt Cronin would come into the game after the Davidson homerun, and would give up a single to Jeye, who would advance to second on a wild pitch. Andrew Keith would then lace a hit to the second baseman, who would bobble the ball, but was able to throw out pinch runner Evan Hull '19 at home to end the game and give UMass the 7-6 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Wilson Flower '16 got the start for the Cardinals and went 4.1 innings allowing two runs on three hits. He struck out two and walked three.
- Davidson went 3-5 on the afternoon with three runs scored and two RBIs. He finished a double shy of the cycle.
- Jeye also had a multi-hit game, going 2-4 with an RBI.
- David Tarr earned his second win on the year, going 3.2 innings allowing three runs (two earned) on two hits. He struck out a game high five batters.
- King went 2-4 with a run scored and 3 RBIs in the game. O'Neill and Curran had two RBIs a piece for UMass.
- The Cardinals return to the diamond on Friday, April 15 as they will host Little Three Rival Williams College at 4 p.m. at Dresser Diamond.
- The Corsairs are back in action tomorrow, April 14 as they will travel to Western New England to take on the Golden Bears at 3:30 p.m.