Score: Wesleyan 13, Salem St. 4
Records: Wesleyan (1-0); Salem St. (3-2)
Location: Tucson, Ariz. (Kino Sports Complex)
Date: Sunday, March 12th
Time: 6 p.m.
The Lead: Behind five strong innings from Nick Miceli '17, the Wesleyan University baseball team opened its 2017 season with a 13-4 victory over Salem St. in Tucson, Arizona.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings jumped out to a 2-0 lead with runs in the first and third innings.
- Matt Jeye '18 got things started for the Cardinals in the fourth as his single led to a four-run inning. Ryan Earle '19 and Ellis Schaefer '17 also singled in the inning.
- The fifth featured more offense from Wesleyan as it scored six runs to increase its lead to 10-3. Schaefer, AJ Ferrara '18 and Andrew Keith '19 all notched hits in the frame as the Cardinals sent ten batters to the plate.
- The two teams exchanged scoreless innings until the seventh when Wesleyan put three more runs on the board to increase its lead to 13-3. Keith, Miceli and Will O'Sullivan '17 all crossd the plate in the frame.
- Salem St. scored one in the ninth to make it a 13-4 game, but Stephen Howard '18 held its bats at bay and the Cardinals would claim the 13-4 win.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Miceli struck out five while allowing two runs on nine hits in his five innings of work.
- Asher Young '17, Dylan Millhouse '18 and Howard combined for four solid relief innings as they allowed just one run on three hits.
- Schaefer led Wesleyan with four hits, while Miceli notched three.
- The Vikings were led by Dan Connors who registered four hits in the game.
- The Cardinals return to the diamond tomorrow, Monday March 13th, as they will take on Concordia (Wisc.) in a doubleheader beginning at 4:30 p.m.