Score: Wesleyan 6, Whittier 3
Records: Wesleyan (7-3); Whittier (6-16)
Location: Claremont, Calif.
Date: Thursday, March 23rd
Time: 6 p.m.
The Lead: Ryan Earle '19 pitched 4.2 innings of excellent relief while also knocking in a run as the Wesleyan University baseball team defeated Whittier College by a score of 6-3 on Thursday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After four scoreless innings, the Cardinals would put up two runs in the fifth. Will O'Sullivan '17 tripled home Andrew Keith '19 and an Earle sacrifice fly would then score O'Sullivan to put Wesleyan up 2-0.
- The Poets would respond in the bottom of the inning with two runs of their own courtesy of RBI singles from Will Reader and Jake Raynaud.
- Nick Miceli '17 would single home Earle in the seventh to put the Cardinals back on top, 3-2. Danny Rose '19 would later double, scoring Miceli and Matt Jeye '18 to make the score 5-2.
- The eighth inning would see Wesleyan add to its lead as Jeye walked with the bases loaded to put the Cardinals up four.
- Charlie Mayfield would single in the bottom of the ninth to plate Michael Angelo to bring Whittier to within three runs, but that's as close as it would get, and Wesleyan would claim the 6-3 win.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Asher Young '17 pitched 4.1 innings allowing two runs, while Earle earned his second win as he pitched 4.2 innings in relief, allowing one run for the Cardinals.
- Rose led the team with three hits, while O'Sullivan, Jeye and Miceli each notched two hits a piece.
- The Poets were led by Nick Krska who registered three hits in the game.
- Wesleyan is back on the field tomorrow, March 24th as it will take on La Verne in a doubleheader. Game one is scheduled for 2 p.m. and game two is set to begin at approximately 5 p.m.