Game One Score: Wesleyan 6, Endicott 3
Game Two Score: Endicott 16, Wesleyan 4
Records: Wesleyan (14-8), Endicott (14-12)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Dresser Diamond)
Date: Saturday, April 15th
Time: 12/2:30 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University baseball team split a non-conference double-header with Endicott College on Saturday afternoon at Dresser Diamond.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Mike Kochiss singled to center to score Nick Berno from second and give the Gulls a 1-0 lead in the top of the first.
- A triple to right-center by Matt Jeye '18 scored Will O'Sullivan '17, and tied the game in the bottom of the inning. Jeye then scored on a throwing error which allowed Ryan Earle '19 to reach first and gave the Cardinals the 2-1 lead. Nick Miceli '17 laced a single to center to score Earle and make the score 3-1.
- Berno hit a double to left-center to lead off the third, but he was thrown out trying to stretch it into a triple. Danny Rose '19 got to the ball quickly and threw a perfect relay to Jake Alonzo '20, who got the ball to Ellis Schaefer '17, who applied the tag to get Berno.
- Schaefer hit a sacrifice fly to center to score Miceli and put Wesleyan up 4-1 in the fourth.
- The visitors got to within one run in the fifth as Mike Casciano hit a single to left-center with the bases loaded to score two runs.
- Back-to-back doubles from O'Sullivan and Jeye put the home team up 5-3 in the bottom of the inning.
- Another double from Alec Olmstead '20 in the bottom of the sixth scored Miceli from first and put Wesleyan up 6-3.
- Earle came in and pitched a perfect seventh to earn his second save of the season and seal the 6-3 Cardinal win. Mike McCaffrey '19 got his third win of the year going six innings, allowing just four hits, three runs (two earned) while striking out seven.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- A fielder's choice by Mike DeDonato scored a run to put the Gulls up 1-0. Chris Seidle followed with a 3-run homerun to left-center to put the visitors up 4-0 in the top of the first.
- A six run fourth put Endicott up 10-0.
- Jeye crushed a ball over the leftfield fence for a 2-run homerun to make the score 10-2.
- O'Sullivan and Jeye would each notch an RBI in the fifth to bring Wesleyan to within six at 10-4.
- DeDonato earned an RBI with a single to left in the sixth to put the Gulls up 11-4.
- A five run eighth inning put the visitors up 16-4, and they would go onto win 16-4.
- The Cardinals are back in action on Monday, April 17th as they will host Eastern Connecticut St. at Dresser Diamond. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.