Score: Middlebury 7, Wesleyan 4
Records: Wesleyan (16-11, 4-4 NESCAC), Middlebury (13-10, 8-4 NESCAC)
Location: Middlebury, Vt. (Forbes Field)
Date: Sunday, April 23rd
Time: 12:00 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University baseball team dropped a tough road NESCAC game to Middlebury College, 7-4, on Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals got out to a 1-0 lead in the first as Andrew Keith '19 walked to force in Will O'Sullivan '17 from third.
- The Panthers took the lead in the third on RBI from Andrew Hennings and Jason Lock.
- Middlebury added three runs in the fourth to make the score 5-1.
- Wesleyan would mount a comeback in the eighth, scoring three runs. Danny Rose '19 knocked in Ellis Schaefer '17 and O'Sullivan would double to send two more runs across the plate and make the score 5-4.
- The home team would respond with two runs in the bottom of the eighth to go ahead by three, and they would go onto win the game, 7-4.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Schaefer led the visitors with three hits, going 3-4 on the afternoon.
- Nick Miceli '17 pitched three innings allowing three hits and two runs. He struck out three and walked just one. Ryan Earle '19 pitched 4.1 innings of relief, allowing two runs (one earned) while striking out two.
- Colin Waters notched the win for Middlebury, pitching 5.1 innings allowing 1 run (unearned). Conor Himstead came on to pitch 1.2 innings to earn the save.
- The Cardinals will return to diamond on Tuesday, April 25th for a non-conference game against Wheaton. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.