Game One Score: Wesleyan 7, Amherst 6
Game Two Score: Amherst 5, Wesleyan 3
Records: Wesleyan (17-13, 5-6 NESCAC); Amherst (16-12, 8-4 NESCAC)
Location: Amherst, Mass. (Memorial Field)
Date: Saturday, April 29
Time: 1/3:30 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University baseball team split a double-header with Little Three rival Amherst on Saturday afternoon.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- The home team jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the second.
- A three run top of the fourth by the Cardinals would tie the game. Ellis Schaefer '17 scored the first run for the visitors as he crossed home on a throwing error. Matt Jeye '19 and Ryan Earle '19 would each notch RBI doubles in the frame.
- Two more runs in the top of the fifth put Wesleyan up 5-3. O'Sullivan knocked in a run on a bunt single while Jonny Corning '20 scored on Jeye's fielder's choice.
- Anthony Spina would hit an RBI double to bring the Mammoths to within one run in the fifth.
- A 2-RBI single from Harry Roberson put Amherst up 6-5 in the sixth.
- The Cardinals would regain the lead on a 2-run homerun by Earle in the seventh, and that would prove to be the game winner, as Wesleyan claimed game one by a 7-6 score.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Mammoths scored twice in the bottom of the first to jump out to a 2-0 lead.
- Wesleyan took the lead in the fourth as Earle singled home a run and Nick Miceli '17 doubled home two, to give the visitors the 3-2 advantage.
- The home team would score three times in the eighth to make the score 5-3, and they would go onto win the game by that score.
- Alec Olmstead '20 pitched six innings for the visitors, allowing two runs (one earned) and striking out seven.
- The Cardinals are back in action on Tuesday, May 2nd as they will take on MIT at 4 p.m.