Mar 15, 2019
TUCSON, Ariz. – The Wesleyan baseball team avenged a Wednesday loss to Dubuque, triumphing 18-4 late Thursday evening. The Cardinals return to action on Friday at 3:00 p.m. when they take on Nebraska-Wesleyan.
- Wesleyan wasted little time getting on the board, scoring three runs in the top of the first for a 3-0 lead.
- With runners on first and second at the top of the second, Jake Alonzo and Scott Shield hit back-to-back RBI singles. Alonzo and Shield touched home after a double by Ryan Earle one batter later, before a single by Tyler Fulkerson brought home Danny Rose and Earle. Nick Valicenti later scored on a wild pitch to cap the seven-run inning as Wesleyan led 10-0.
- In the top of the fourth, Rose homered, before Valicenti walked and later scored on a wild pitch for the 12-0 advantage.
- Dubuque got on the board in the bottom of the fourth with an RBI double by Thomas Kempf and a run-scoring single by Daulton Kvenvold.
- The Cardinals tacked on three runs in the fifth, before tacking on two more in the sixth on a two-run double from Valicenti.
- Wesleyan added a final run in the ninth for the 18-4 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's Rose went 4-4 with two RBI and a homer, while Earle went 3-6 with two doubles and three RBI. Shielf also went 3-6, while Valicenti went 2-3 with three RBI.
- Pat Clare picked up the win for the Cardinals, allowing two runs on five hits with six strikeouts.
- Wesleyan's Webb, Fritch and Alonzo combined for four innings of one-hit, scoreless relief, striking out seven.
- Dubuque's Zach Mccoy went 2-2, while Kempf had a double.
- Sewruk suffered the loss for the Spartans, allowing five runs on five hits.