TUCSON, Ariz. – The Wesleyan baseball team (2-5) split a doubleheader with Luther (5-6) on Friday evening. The Cardinals edged the Norse 4-3 during the first game of the series, but fell 9-1 in game two. Wesleyan is back in action on Sunday when it takes on Saint John's (Minn.) at 3:30 p.m.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals jumped out to an early 1-0 edge in the bottom of the first. Alex Cappitelli singled, before advancing to second on a wild pitch and later touching home on an error.
- Luther took a 2-1 advantage in the top of the third after a homer by Trent Athmann.
- The Norse increased their lead in the top of the fifth when Jake Vogt stole home with the bases loaded, making it 3-1.
- Wesleyan got one run back in its half of the inning when a sacrifice fly by Andrew Kauf drove in Cappitelli.
- With runners on first and second in the bottom of the sixth, Danny Rose crossed the plate on a single by Kauf to tie the game 3-3, before Andrew Keith stole home for the 4-3 victory.
GAME 1 - INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's Kelvin Sosa earned the win, allowing three runs on eight hits with five strikeouts over seven innings.
- Cappitelli went 3-4 with a double, while Rose went 2-3 and Kauf and Keith each recorded an RBI for the Cardinals.
- Colin Coffey suffered the loss for Luther, allowing four runs on 10 hits over five innings of work.
- The Norse were led by Athmann with a homer and two RBI, while Owen Vander linden hit 2-3 and Luke Plunkett recorded a double.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals got on the board in the top of the first. Jake Alonzo hit a double, before a single by Kauf drove Alonzo home for the 1-0 edge.
- With the bases loaded in the bottom of the first, Athmann and Vogt touched home plate on a single by Bryce Hingst, before Hingst and Derek McCready crossed home for a 4-1 advantage.
- After three quick innings, the Norse increased their lead and never looked back. Hingst touched home on a single by Vaner linden in the bottom of the fifth, before a double by Kelby Johnson brought in two RBI to make it 7-1.
- The Cardinals threatened in the top of the sixth when they had bases loaded, but they were unable to plate a run.
- Luther added two scores in the bottom of the sixth on a double by Vander Linden for the 9-1 final.
GAME 2 - INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mike McCaffrey suffered the loss for Wesleyan, allowing four runs on two hits.
- Alonzo went 2-4 with a double for the Cardinals.
- For Luther, Kyle Bode picked up the win allowing one run on four hits with three strikeouts over five innings of work.
- Johnson went 2-3 with two doubles and two RBI, while Vander linden went 2-4 with three RBI. Hingst also went 2-4 for the Norse and added two RBI.