SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Wesleyan baseball team (10-11) outlasted Western New England University (14-8) to earn a 3-2 victory on the road on Thursday. With two outs and runners on first and third in the bottom of the eighth, Jake Alonzo struck out the first batter he faced to earn the save on the mound for the Cardinals.
- Wesleyan tried to get things going in the top of the second when Danny Rose walked, Alonzo walked and Tanner Fulkerson singled to load the bases, but the Cardinals were unable to plate a run, leaving all three runners stranded.
- In their half of the inning, Golden Bear Aaron Rios walked and Zac Nussbaum singled, but a double play by Wesleyan ended the inning.
- Kevin Johnson got WNE on the board in the bottom of the third after he singled to left center. He stole second, before stealing third and later touched home on a throwing error for the 1-0 edge.
- Wesleyan's Rose doubled to left center, Alonzo singled to shortstop and Nick Valicenti walked to load the bases in the top of the fourth. Rose later touched home, before a single by Nolan Webb drove in Alonzo for the 2-1 lead.
- In the top of the fifth, Andrew Keith walked, Adam Geibel singled to right field and Alex Cappitelli bunted to load the bases for the Cardinals, before a fielder's choice allowed Keith to cross home plate, extending the advantage to 3-1.
- Wesleyan looked to add another run in its next inning with the bases loaded, but WNE held them scoreless.
- Brian Valeriano led-off the bottom of the eighth with a double down the left field line, before stealing third base. Later, the Golden Bears cut the deficit to one (3-2) when a single by Joe Cassella drove home Valeriano, but Wesleyan's Alonzo struck out the first batter he faced to end the inning.
- The Cardinals held WNE scoreless in the final inning to hang on to the 3-2 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- On the mound, Mike McCaffrey earned the win, allowing just one run on four hits while striking out four over six innings of work. Alonzo recorded the save for the Cardinals, throwing one scoreless inning, while striking out three.
- Wesleyan's Geibel and Fulkerson went 2-4, while Fulkerson, Kauf and Webb each recorded an RBI.
- Kevin Besko suffered the loss for WNE, allowing two runs on four hits over four innings.
- Erik Lacaire went 1-2 with a double, while Valeriano had a double and Cassella recorded an RBI for the Golden Bears.
- The Cardinals hit the road for a doubleheader at Bates on Saturday, with the first game starting at noon.