Score: Wesleyan 2, ECSU 1
Records: Wesleyan: 1-2, ECSU: 2-3
Location: Willimantic, Conn. (Mansfield Outdoor Complex)
Date: Wednesday, September 14
Time: 4:30 p.m.
The Lead: Two overtimes and 100 minutes of action were not enough as the Wesleyan University field hockey team claimed its first victory of the year in a shootout against Eastern Connecticut State University by a score of 2-1.
- Tess Iannarone '18 gave the Cardinals an early 1-0 lead as she took an Abby Warren '19 pass and put it past Warriors goalkeeper Samantha Scavo at 15:08 in the first half.
- ECSU would tie the game in the second half on a Brianna Passero goal at the 49:35 mark. Her goal was assisted by Alex Kallgren.
- After two 15-minute overtime periods, the game would head into a shootout tied at one.
- Ali Friend '19, Caitlin Wood '19 and Lauren Yue '17 all scored for Wesleyan in the shootout, which would seal the Cardinal victory by a score of 2-1.
- Claire Edelman '17 stopped three of the four Warriors' attempts in the shootout
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Warriors held a slight edge in shots-on-goal, as they put nine shots on net to Wesleyan's five.
- Edelman played the entire game for the Cardinals, making eight saves in the match.
- Wesleyan will begin their NESCAC season as they will play host to Bowdoin College on Saturday, September 17 at 12 p.m. This will be the first game played on the newly renovated Smith Field.
- Eastern will return to action on Saturday as well at they will travel to take on Framingham St. at 2 p.m.