Score: Connecticut College 4, Wesleyan 3
Records: Wesleyan (2-13, 0-10 NESCAC), Connecticut College (4-11, 3-7 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Smith Field)
Date: Wednesday, October 26th
Time: 6 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University field hockey team's 2016 season came to an end Wednesday night as they fell to Connecticut College 4-3 on Smith Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Camels got on the board first at 14:28 as Cheyanne Asplundh took a pass from Colbi Vaillancourt and put it past Cardinals' goalkeeper, Claire Edelman '17 for the 1-0 lead.
- The Cardinals would respond to tie the game a few minutes later at 16:15 as Cici Frattasio'18 took an Erica Horowitz '20 pass and found the back of the net.
- Maddie Shea '20 would give the home team the 2-1 advantage as she corralled the ball in front of the net, and put it past Conn. netminder Ryley van der Velde at 28:15.
- The visitors would tie the game at two when Bryn MacGillivray took the Sam Segiet pass and put it in the back of the goal at 38:33.
- The Camels would take a 3-2 lead at 44:47 on a goal by Amanda Jacobsen which was assisted by MacGillivray.
- The home team would respond yet again to tie the game at three as Horowitz rifled a shot past Van der Velde. The goal, at 45:10 was assisted by Colleen Lynch '17.
- Conn. would take the lead once again as Segiet scored off a Sophie Pollinger pass at 61:34 to go ahead 4-3.
- With time running out, the Cardinals would have one final opportunity off a penalty corner, and after a scramble in front of the net, van der Velde was able to knock the ball away and seal the 4-3 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The visitors held a slight advantage in shots at 11-8.
- Conn. also took more penalty corners at 6-4.
- Edelman made five saves in net while van der Velde made three.