Sep 22, 2018
LEWISTON, Maine – The Wesleyan field hockey team (3-3, 0-2) fell 5-2 to Bates on Saturday. The win was the first for the Bobcats (1-4, 1-3) this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Bates opened up the scoring just 1:13 into the contest when Bridget Tweedie notched a goal on a dish from Grace Fitzgerald.
- The Cardinals responded 1:35 later, when Nikki Gerjarusak found the back of the cage on a breakaway, knotting the game 1-1.
- The Bobcats added a second tally 19:18 into the stanza when Emma Patterson collected a rebound and flipped the ball past Wesleyan's goalkeeper Delaney Wood, for the 2-1 edge.
- Wesleyan found the equalizer at the 40:26 mark after a penalty corner by Rachel Pomerantz. Olivia Baglieri stopped the insert, before Gerjarusak snuck the ball past Bate's goalkeeper Ellie Bauer, making it 2-2.
- Bates responded at the 54:04 mark when Victoria McGee found the back of the cage to make it 3-1.
- The Bobcats tacked on another tally 62:29 into the game when Taylor Lough tipped-in a pass from Patterson, extending the lead to 4-2.
- The fifth and final Bates' goal came at the 66:43 mark when Riley Burns took advantage of a quick restart driving the ball into the cage from just inside the circle.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wood made two stops in goal for the Cardinals, while Bauer had three saves for the Bobcats.
- The Cardinals will continue NESCAC play, traveling to Tufts on Tuesday for a 6:00 p.m. contest, before returning home to entertain Hamilton on Saturday at 11:00 a.m.