BOSTON, Mass. – Jack Mackey '16 hit seven three-pointers to lead a strong shooting night for the 25th-ranked Wesleyan University men's basketball team as the Cardinals used a 15-2 second half run to defeat non-conference foe Emmanuel College Monday night on the road, 78-60.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mackey finished with a game-high 25 points on 7-of-12 shooting from downtown as the Cardinals shot 52% (26-50) as a team. They also went 50% (13-26) from three-point range and 76.5% (13-17) from the free throw line as they cruised in the second half to their fifth-straight win.
- Joining Mackey in double-figures were classmates Rashid Epps and Joe Edmonds with 12 and 11 points, respectively. Epps also led the team with a game-high nine rebounds, while B.J. Davis '16 dished out a game-high seven assists and finished with nine points.
- Emmanuel was led by Kyle Davis, the team's lone scorer in double-figures, with 12 points off the bench. Will Jessup led the team in rebounding (7) and assists (4), and Alex Minetti scored nine points.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- Mackey was on fire in the first 20 minutes of play and went 5-of-9 from three-point range to finish with 15 at halftime.
- A lay-up by Epps at the 17:40 mark gave Wesleyan a 7-3 lead, and after four minutes of scoreless action, Mackey hit consecutive three-pointers just seconds apart before another trey by Edmonds.
- With 11:17 remaining in the first half, a lay-up by Nathan Krill '18 gave Wesleyan its first double-digit lead of the game, up 18-8.
- Minutes later, Mackey once again hit consecutive shots from beyond-the-arc, but Emmanuel responded with baskets of their own to get within seven.
- The Cardinals grabbed an 11-point lead with 5:49 to play, and took a 10-point lead with 3:45 remaining, but the Saints outscored Wesleyan 8-3 down the stretch as they trailed by five at halftime, 36-31.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- Wesleyan's hot shooting continued early in the second as Edmonds hit one from downtown just 12 seconds into play.
- Emmanuel got within four on three occasions over the next three minutes, but were unable to get any closer.
- The Cardinals started to pull away shortly later. Ahead by five, 50-45, a pair of free throws jumpstarted a 15-2 run as Wesleyan pulled away.
- With 6:10 remaining in regulation, Mackey hit his sixth three pointer. Seconds later, he drilled another one from deep to put the visitor's up by 18 as Emmanuel was forced to call a timeout.
- The run proved to be all Wesleyan needed as they cruised in the closing minutes to claim the 18-point victory.
- Wesleyan is back in action Friday, Feb. 5 to host Little Three rival Williams College. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m.
- Emmanuel returns to the court Wednesday, Feb. 3 and will host St. Joseph's College at 7 p.m.