Score: Wesleyan 88, Western New England 80
Records: Wesleyan (2-0); Western New England (1-2)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Silloway Gymnasium)
Date: Saturday, November 19
Time: 4:20 p.m.
The Lead: Trailing by nine points at halftime, the Wesleyan University men's basketball team rallied in the final 20 minutes of regulation to defeat Western New England University, 88-80, and claim the Herb Kenny Tournament title.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Golden Bears were lights out in the first half, as they went 9-of-19 from downtown.
- Joseph Kuo '17 – the Tournament MVP – scored the first basket of the game to put Wesleyan ahead, 2-0, but it was the last time the Cardinals would lead in the first.
- Western New England went on a 15-6 run, capped off by a three-pointer from Mike McGuire, to go ahead 25-14 at the 9:10 mark.
- Wesleyan got within three after a trey from Jordan Bonner '19 with 2:38 to play, but in the closing seconds of the half, Mikey Pettway hit one from deep to give the visitor's a 44-35 halftime advantage.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- Wesleyan trailed for the first 10:59 of the second half, but slowly cut into the deficit before Salim Green '19 nailed one from beyond-the-arc to give the Cardinals a 62-60 lead with 9:01 to play in regulation. The three-pointer capped off a 10-2 Wesleyan run.
- The Golden Bears would tie it at 69-69 and 71-71 behind Pettway, but a Nathan Krill '18 dunk at the 4:11 mark gave the home team the lead for good.
- Wesleyan increased its lead down the stretch and held off Western New England to claim the come-from-behind victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kuo recorded his second double-double of the weekend, en route to the Tournament MVP honors, as he finished with game-highs of 22 points and 13 rebounds. He finished 7-of-13 from the floor, while Bonner and Krill joined him in double-figure scoring with 19 and 10, respectively. Kevin O'Brien '19 led Wesleyan in assists with eight.
- The Cardinals dominated the paint once again and outscored the Golden Bears 44-20 down low, and also finished with 25 second chance points compared to Western New England's six.
- The visitor's were led by Pettway's 22 points and Mike Gelineau's 20. Pettway led the team in assists (6) and rebounds (5). McCourt joined the duo with double-digit points as he scored 10.
- Quinton Dale, Wheaton
- James Starks III, Southern Maine
- Mike Gelineau, Western New England
- Mikey Pettway, Western New England
- Jordan Bonner, Wesleyan
- Joseph Kuo, Wesleyan – Tournament MVP
- The Cardinals return to the court Tuesday, Nov. 22 and will host non-conference opponent Bard College beginning at 5 p.m.