Score: Wesleyan 91, Hartwick 79
Records: Wesleyan (4-0); Hartwick (2-2)
Location: Rochester, N.Y. (Clark Gym)
Date: Saturday, November 26
Time: 6 p.m.
The Lead: Five players scored in double-figures Saturday night as the Wesleyan University men's basketball team defeated Hartwick College in the first game of the RIT Tournament, 91-79.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Hawks came out hot to start the game and hit four consecutive three-pointers to go ahead 12-2. Seconds later, Joey Lufkin made all three foul shots to give Hartwick its largest lead of the game, up 15-2 at the 17:37 mark.
- Wesleyan, however, slowly cut into the deficit and a three from Andrew Gardiner '19 with 9:43 to play in the half gave the Cardinals their first lead of the game, 24-22.
- PJ Reed '17 hit one from downtown minutes later to cap off a 27-9 Wesleyan run.
- Hartwick got within two, 29-27, before the Cardinals scored eight unanswered as a jumper by Harry Rafferty '17 put Wesleyan up 37-27 with 5:14 remaining.
- The Cardinals would take a 44-40 lead at halftime.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- Less than two minutes into the second half, a lay-up by Jake Sinicki put Hartwick back up, 45-44.
- A three from Lufkin at the 16:38 mark would then give the Hawks a two-point advantage, but the lead was short-lived as a jumper by Reed knotted the game at 48-48 and a three-pointer from JR Bascom '18 seconds later put the Cardinals up for good, 51-48.
- The closest Hartwick would get the rest of the way was three points, as Wesleyan continued to increase its lead and a lay-up by Nathan Krill '18 at the 10:54 mark gave the Cardinals a 10-point advantage.
- Wesleyan pulled away down the stretch to claim the 12-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals held a 49-30 edge in rebounds and 36-18 advantage in points in the paint.
- Wesleyan shot 40.9% (9-22) from behind-the-arc and was led by Reed who went 3-for-6 from downtown to finish with a team-high 17 points. He also grabbed six rebounds.
- Joining Reed in double-figures was Green (14), Bonner (12), Rafferty (12) and Krill (10). Joseph Kuo '17 led all players with 13 rebounds and finished with eight points, and Kevin O'Brien '19 dished out a game-high five assists.
- Sinicki led all players with 32 points on 8-of-14 shooting, and finished 14-of-16 from the charity stripe. Lufkin and Justin Pratt each scored 13 points and Brandon LaForest added 11 and five assists.
- The Cardinals return to the court tomorrow, Nov. 27 and will play the winner of RIT and Summit University of Pennsylvania. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m.