Score: Wesleyan 72, Williams 62
Records: Wesleyan (7-0); Williams (6-1)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Silloway Gym)
Date: Saturday, December 2
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: Five players scored in double-figures for the Wesleyan University men's basketball team as the Cardinals remained undefeated with a 72-62 win over Little Three rival Williams College Saturday night.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan came out hot to start the game and a put-back dunk by Joseph Kuo '17 just 31 seconds into play jumpstarted an 8-1 run.
- After a three from Harry Rafferty '17 put the Cardinals ahead 14-6, Williams responded with an 8-0 run as Marcos Soto hit one from behind-the-arc to even the score at the 11:59 mark.
- Minutes later, Soto would hit another three to give the Ephs their first lead of the game, up 17-16.
- The visitor's led by as much as five before Wesleyan scored 11 unanswered to go up 27-21 with 2:52 remaining in the half.
- The Cardinals would lead the rest of the way down the stretch. On back-to-back possessions, Salim Green '19 made impressive drives to the basket for a lay-up, including one with :04 left on the clock to give Wesleyan a 38-29 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The second half went back-and-forth early and often, as Wesleyan led for the entire 20 minutes.
- Ahead 47-44 at the 13:34 mark, consecutive three-pointers from PJ Reed '17 and Andrew Gardiner '19 helped lead a 9-1 Wesleyan run.
- The three-point margin proved to be the closest the game would get the rest of the way.
- Wesleyan scored the six of the final eight points to seal the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The victory marked Wesleyan's fourth consecutive over its Little Three rival.
- Wesleyan shot 53.2% (25-47) from the floor and 54.5% (6-11) from behind-the-arc, while the Ephs shot 37.0% (20-54) from the field and 32.3% (10-31) from three-point range.
- The Cardinals held a commanding 41-23 edge in rebounding. Green and Rafferty dropped 14 points each, while Kuo scored 12, Jordan Sears '18 added 11 and Reed scored 10. Sears was one rebound shy of a double-double as he led all players with nine boards, and Kevin O'Brien '19 dished out a game-high five assists.
- For the Ephs, James Heskett scored a game-high 17 points and grabbed a team-high seven rebounds, while Kyle Scadlock added 10 points.
- Wesleyan returns to the court Wednesday, Dec. 7 to host non-conference foe Vassar. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.
- Williams is back in action Thursday, Dec. 8 and will host Westfield State at 7 p.m.