Score: Wesleyan 77, Vassar 53
Records: Wesleyan (8-0); Vassar (4-4)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Silloway Gym)
Date: Wednesday, December 7
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's basketball team, led by a team-high 15 points from Salim Green '19, cruised to a commanding 77-53 win over non-conference opponent Vassar College Wednesday night.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The game went back-and-forth early as both teams struggled offensively in the opening minutes.
- However, down 4-2, Wesleyan went on a 10-1 run in less than five minutes as a jumper by JR Bascom '18 put the home team ahead by seven.
- The Cardinals would never trail the rest of the game, and took their first double-digit lead at the 5:24 mark after a pair of free throws from Andrew Gardiner '19 gave them a 24-14 lead.
- Vassar cut the deficit to six following a three-pointer from Alex Seff at the 2:59 mark, but Wesleyan closed out the half on a 5-0 run to claim a 31-20 halftime advantage.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was all Wesleyan in the final 20 minutes of regulation as the Cardinals continued to increase their lead throughout.
- They opened the half on a 9-2 run as a lay-up by PJ Reed '17 at the 16:39 mark put the home team ahead, 40-23.
- With 12:31 remaining on the clock, freshman Kevin McDonald hit his first three-pointer of his collegiate career, and two minutes later, Nathan Krill '18 drove down the middle of the lane for a one-handed dunk as Wesleyan went up by 20.
- The Cardinals outscored Vassar 46-33 in the second half and shot 59.4% (19-32) from the field, with Green leading the way. He scored 13 of his team-high 15 points in the second half on 6-of-7 shooting.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan held a commanding 49-11 advantage in points in the paint, and 15-0 edge in fastbreak points. Gardiner joined Green in double-digits with 11, while Joseph Kuo '17 finished with eight points and a game-high 13 rebounds. He also blocked five shots, and Kevin O'Brien '19 grabbed seven boards and dished out a game-high five assists. Freshman Justin Bergerson scored his first basket of his collegiate career, and also grabbed two rebounds.
- Vassar was led by Seff, who finished with a double-double. He scored a game-high 18 points and recorded a team-high 11 rebounds. He was the lone player in double-figures for the Brewers, as Jesse Browne added nine points, five rebounds, three steals and two assists.
- Wesleyan is back in action Saturday, Dec. 10 and will play at Westfield State. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m.
- Vassar has a long break before returning to the court Friday, Dec. 30 to face Skidmore College on the road beginning at 4 p.m.