Recap courtesy of Middlebury Athletic Communication
Score: Middlebury 83, Wesleyan 65
Records: No. 9 Wesleyan (11-2, 0-1 NESCAC); No. 22 Middlebury (10-1, 1-0 NESCAC)
Location: Middlebury, Vt.
Date: Friday, January 6
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: Joseph Kuo '17 and Salim Green '19 of the No. 9 Wesleyan University men's basketball team each scored 18 points, but the Cardinals dropped its NESCAC opener on the road against No. 22 Middlebury, 83-65.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan led 9-5 before Adisa Majors scored four during a quick 6-0 spurt that gave Middlebury an 11-9 lead at the 13:56 mark of the first half.
- A pair of 5-0 runs later in the half left the Panthers with a 29-24 advantage with 6:16 remaining.
- Middlebury's big first-half run began at the 3:21 mark when the home team outscored the Cardinals 11-0 to close the half, taking a 40-27 lead into the intermission. Threes from Matt St. Amour and Joey Leighton sparked the run.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan trimmed the lead to 11 at 44-33 on a pair of threes from Harry Rafferty '17, the second coming at the 15:33 mark.
- However, Middlebury responded with an 8-0 run, with threes from Jack Daly and St. Amour, taking a 52-33 advantage at the 13:21 mark.
- The Cardinals made a run over the next 4:03, scoring 13-of-15 points, closing the gap to 11 at 72-61 with 3:04 remaining.
- Green sparked the run with nine points for the Cardinals.
- The Panthers responded with a 6-0 spurt, pulling away for the 83-65 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Green and Kuo paced the Cardinals with 18 points a piece, while Rafferty added 13. Kuo and Kevin O'Brien '19 each grabbed eight boards, while O'Brien also dished out six assists.
- St. Amour led all scorers with 21 points on 5-of-10 shooting from beyond-the-arc to go along with four assists. Daly finished with 12 points and seven rebounds, Tarantino netted nine, while Jake Brown, Bryan Jones and Matt Folger each scored eight.
- Middlebury held a 47-37 rebounding advantage in the game and its bench outscored Wesleyan, 27-9.
- The Cardinals remain on the road for a 3 p.m. tip-off tomorrow against Hamilton.
- Middlebury will host Conn. College tomorrow at 3 p.m.