Score: Wesleyan 80, Emmanuel 50
Records: Wesleyan (14-3, 2-2 NESCAC); Emmanuel (3-13, 2-7 GNAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn.
Date: Wednesday, January 18
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The 24th-ranked Wesleyan University men's basketball team cruised to a commanding 80-50 win over Emmanuel College Wednesday night as the Cardinals improved to 8-1 at Silloway Gymnasium this season.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The game went back-and-forth early with neither team able to pull away until late in the half.
- After a three-pointer from Aidan Hadley cut the deficit to two at the 10:11 mark, 16-14, Wesleyan responded with a 14-2 run over the next five minutes of play to take a 14-point lead.
- The Cardinals continued to increase their lead and a lay-up by Salim Green '19 with 2:42 to play in the half lifted Wesleyan to a 38-19 advantage.
- However, Emmanuel scored five unanswered down the stretch to cut the deficit to 14 at halftime, 38-24.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was all Wesleyan in the final 20 minutes of action.
- The Saints got within 11 on three occasions within the first five minutes of the half, but that proved to be the closest they would get the rest of the way.
- Wesleyan went on a 15-3 run in less than four minutes as a lay-up from Andrew Gardiner '19 gave the home team a 59-36 lead with 11:15 to play in the game.
- Emmanuel responded with seven unanswered, but the Cardinals went on another 15-3 run to go ahead by 28 with 4:25 to play, essentially putting the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan dominated the boards as it pulled in a season-high 63 rebounds, and won the rebounding margin by 27.
- Joseph Kuo '17 recorded his fourth double-double of the season as he scored 12 points and grabbed 10 boards. Green scored a game-high 16 points and pulled in seven rebounds, while Kevin O'Brien '19 and Nathan Krill '17 registered 11 and 10 rebounds, respectively. O'Brien also dished out a game-high seven assists.
- Emmanuel was led by Emmett Riddick, the team's lone scorer in double-figures with 13 points. Alex Minetti added nine and Joe Tamburro grabbed a team-high nine boards.
- Wesleyan returns to the court Friday, Jan. 20 and is scheduled to play at Tufts at 7 p.m.
- The Saints are back in action Saturday, Jan. 21 and will host Johnson & Wales at 3 p.m. as well.