Score: Wesleyan 67, Bates 64
Records: Wesleyan (15-4, 3-3 NESCAC); Bates (12-6, 3-3 NESCAC)
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Date: Saturday, January 21
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: Trailing at halftime, the 24th-ranked Wesleyan University men's basketball team rallied in the second half to edge Bates College on the road, 67-64, as senior Harry Rafferty scored 15 points to reach the 1,000-point club.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Bobcats came out hot and jumped out to a 14-4 lead at the 16:07 mark following a lay-up by Marcus Delpeche.
- Wesleyan responded, however, and went on an impressive 16-3 run capped off by a three-pointer from Nathan Krill '18 with 10:31 remaining in the half, giving the Cardinals a 20-17 lead.
- The game went back-and-forth for the next couple minutes until a pair of free throws from Max Hummel broke a 23-23 tie, as the Bobcats would lead the final 6:55 of the first half.
- With :37 remaining on the clock, Tom Coyne hit two from the charity stripe to give the home team a 34-27 advantage, but a three-pointer from Kevin O'Brien '19 at the buzzer cut the deficit to four at halftime.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Much like the first half, Bates came out hot and jumped out to a 39-30 lead following a lay-up from Delpeche.
- The Bobcats held a lead for the majority of the second half until Krill hit one from deep at the 5:10 mark to put Wesleyan ahead for the first time since 8:21 of the first, 58-57.
- The Cardinals would not trail the rest of the way, but Delpeche evened the score at 62-62 with 1:20 remaining on the clock.
- Rafferty responded with a three on Wesleyan's next possession, and would later hit a pair of free throws with :06 on the clock to give the visitor's a three-point lead.
- Bates had an opportunity to send the game into overtime, but Jerome Darling's look was contested as the Cardinals hung on for the come-from-behind win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Three players scored in double-figures for Wesleyan as Krill led the way, posting a double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds coming off the bench. He also went 4-of-7 from downtown, and blocked two shots. Rafferty finished with 15 points, five rebounds and five assists, and O'Brien scored 12 with eight boards, four assists and three steals.
- Rafferty became the 23rd player in Wesleyan men's basketball history to reach the 1,000-point club and currently has 1,006 for his career. He is the fifth player to reach the milestone during Head Coach Joe Reilly's tenure.
- Delpeche led Bates with 16 points and 11 rebounds, while Malcolm Delpeche added 15 points and six blocks, and Jerome Darling scored 11 with five assists.
- The Cardinals held a 43-38 edge in rebounding.
- Wesleyan returns to action next Saturday, Jan. 28 and will play at Conn. College. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m.
- Bates plays at Salem State Wednesday, Jan. 25 at 7 p.m.