MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Jordan Bonner '19 scored 17 of his team-high 19 points in the second half to lead the Wesleyan University men's basketball team to a 74-61 win over Anna Maria Friday night in the opening game of the annual Herb Kenney Tip-Off Tournament sponsored by the Radisson Cromwell Hotel.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan came out hot to start the game. Freshman Austin Hutcherson took his first collegiate jumper and hit from behind-the-arc to put the Cardinals ahead 16-4 at the 15:40 mark.
- The Amcats cut into the deficit and a pair of free throws by Mike Rapoza with 10:19 to play made it a 21-16 Wesleyan lead.
- The visitor's got within three, 23-20, just minutes later but the Cardinals closed out the half on a 13-4 run.
- Rapoza led all players at the break with 10 points and Nathan Krill '18 led Wesleyan with eight.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- In the opening minutes of the second half, the Cardinals scored seven unanswered to take a commanding 49-30 lead with 15:33 to play. Bonner was fouled on a three-pointer and hit all three foul shots to cap off the run.
- The Amcats made it a single-digit lead at the 8:21 mark following a pair of free throws from Sidney Limage to make it 57-48.
- Anna Maria got within seven more than once, but that would be the closest they'd get the rest of the way as the home team pulled away down the stretch for the 13-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan shot 44.1% (26-59) from the floor and 30.8% (8-26) from three-point range while outrebounding the Amcats 40-38.
- Bonner was joined in double-figures by JR Bascom '18 and Krill with 11 each. Krill also grabbed eight rebounds. Kevin O'Brien '19 scored eight points, pulled in eight boards, dished out a game-high five assists and recorded a steal. In his first collegiate game, Hutcherson totaled nine points and two assists.
- The Amcats shot 37.7% (23-61) from the field and 35.7% (5-14) from downtown and turned the ball over 17 times.
- Rapoza led all players with 20 points while grabbing eight boards. He was joined in double-figures by Bobby Perette with 16. Chris Contento dished out a team-high four assists.
- The Cardinals will play Mitchell College tomorrow, Nov. 18 at 3 p.m. in the Championship Game of the tournament. The Mariners defeated Salve Regina tonight, 70-61, to advance to the finals.