HARRISON, N.Y. – The Wesleyan University men's basketball team outscored Manhattanville College 45-21 in the second half en route to a commanding 78-44 rout Sunday afternoon in the team's first road game of the year. Four players scored in double-figures for the Cardinals as they improved to 4-0 overall while handing the Valiants their first loss (3-1).
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Manhattanville jumped out to a 7-0 lead to start the game but Wesleyan responded nicely with a 13-0 stretch of its own as a lay-up by JR Bascom '18 at the 13-minute mark capped off the run.
- After some back-and-forth action, a dunk by Jordan James '21 gave the Cardinals a 29-18 lead with 4:05 to play before the break.
- A three by Brian Haggerty cut the deficit to 10 with 1:01 on the clock as Wesleyan held a 33-23 lead after 20 minutes of action.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals continued to increase their lead early in the second half and used a 14-0 run in roughly six minutes of play to pull ahead, 51-27.
- A three-pointer by Cory Madden at the 11:22 mark ended the Wesleyan run but the visitors responded with back-to-back threes from Antone Walker '21 and Nathan Krill '18, respectively, to claim a 26-point advantage and essentially put the game out of reach.
- The Cardinals continued to increase their lead down the stretch and took a 35-point advantage—their largest lead of the game—with 1:20 to play en route to the decisive victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals shot 51.0% (26-51) from the floor and held Manhattanville to 26.3% (15-57) shooting. Wesleyan also held a 40-32 edge in rebounding, 21-7 advantage in points off turnovers, and its bench outscored the Valiants' bench 34-15.
- Walker led all scorers with 16 points of 6-of-13 shooting and also dished out a game-high three assists. He was joined in double-figures by Jordan Bonner '19 with 14, Austin Hutcherson '21 with 11 and Krill with 10. James added six points and grabbed a game-high 10 boards. Bonner, Hutcherson and Kevin O'Brien '19 each recorded three steals.
- Manhattanville was led offensively by Brian Haggerty and Alex Tuci with nine points each. Tuci also led the Valiants with six boards and two steals and Dom Arena dished out a team-high three assists.
- Wesleyan is back in action Tuesday, Nov. 28 and will play at Emmanuel. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.