POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – Jordan Bonner '18 led the way with a game-high 21 points as the No. 18 Wesleyan University men's basketball team defeated Vassar College Wednesday night, 83-68. The Cardinals remain perfect this year with a 7-0 record while the Brewers remain winless and drop to 0-7 on the season.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan and Vassar went back and forth for the first five minutes of the game and were tied at 11, but the Cardinals went on a 19-6 run over the next ten minutes.
- Freshman Austin Hutcherson was hot from downtown, burying three three-pointers in the first half.
- Hutcherson's third three of the half gave Wesleyan a 38-28 lead at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Bonner and Kevin O'Brien '19 started off the second half with two quick buckets in the paint.
- At the 8:48 mark, the Cardinals had built a sizable lead of 67-49 thanks to a layup from Jordan James '21.
- Bonner hit a three-pointer with just under four minutes remaining in the game, boosting the Cardinal lead to 21 (78-57).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan was very sharp from the field, shooting 54.8% (34-62) on the night compared to Vassar's 41.7%. Both teams shot 40.9% from three-point range (9-22).
- Four players joined Bonner in double-digit scoring. Hutcherson finished 4-of-7 from behind-the-arc, amassing 14 points, and JR Bascom '18 contributed 12. Nathan Krill '18 and Antone Walker '21 posted 10 points each.
- Krill led the team in rebounds with nine, and O'Brien dished out a game-high eight assists.
- Jesse Browne led Vassar with 19 points while Paule Grinde dropped 15 and Hunter Gettings added 12. Owen Murray recorded a team-high five assists.
- The Cardinals square up with Brandeis at home on Saturday, Dec. 9 with tip-off scheduled for 1:00 p.m. in Silloway Gymnasium.