PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Four players scored in double-figures, led by freshman guard Austin Hutcherson's 21 points, as the 19th-ranked Wesleyan University men's basketball team cruised to a 69-45 win over Johnson & Wales University in non-conference action Thursday night.
The Cardinals led from the opening tip and jumped out to a commanding 22-4 lead in the first nine minutes of action en route to the decisive victory as they improve to 12-3 overall. Johnson & Wales, led by Brian Hogan-Gary's 14 points, fall to 7-8 on the season.
- Ahead 9-4 at the 15:31 mark, Wesleyan extended its lead to 18 following a 13-0 run capped off by a pair of free throws from Antone Walker '21.
- The Wildcats were held scoreless for four and a half minutes until a three from Donovian Maxfield ended the drought with 11:01 remaining in the half.
- Johnson & Wales cut the deficit to 12 with 3:14 on the clock (28-16) but Wesleyan would take a 32-18 lead at halftime.
- The Cardinals opened the second half with a 7-0 run as a three from Hutcherson put the visitors ahead 39-18.
- Wesleyan continued to increase its lead throughout the second half and led by as much as 31 with 3:17 to play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals, who shot 49.0% (25-51) from the field, 47.4% (9-19) from downtown and 90.0% (10-11) from the foul line, never trailed.
- Hutcherson scored a game-high 21 on 7-of-11 shooting while going 4-of-6 from three-point range and 3-of-3 from the charity stripe. He also dished out a game-high three assists and recorded a team-high three blocks. The freshman was joined in double-figures by JR Bascom '18, Elijah Wilson '20, and Walker with 10 points each. Nathan Krill '18 grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds.
- Hogan-Gary was the lone Wildcat in double-figures while Justin Bullock scored seven points off the bench and Nate Patenaude grabbed a team-high six rebounds.
- The Cardinals are back in action Saturday, Jan. 20 and will host Connecticut College. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m.