HARRISON, N.Y. – Jordan Bonner '19 hit a pair of free throws to tie the game at 68-68 with only 0.6 on the clock, but Michael Soffer of Purchase College caught an inbounds pass that was thrown the length of the court and instantly got the shot off as he banked in the buzzer-beater to defeat the No. 14 Wesleyan University men's basketball team, 71-68 on Monday night.
With the loss, the Cardinals are now 13-4 overall this season while the Panthers improve to 10-6.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Trailing 12-8 with 13:35 on the clock, the Cardinals went on an 8-0 run as a free throw by Jordan James '21 less than three minutes later put the visitors on top 16-12.
- Wesleyan held a lead for the next several minutes until a jumper by Rob Grullon put Purchase ahead, 24-23 with 5:34 remaining.
- The Panthers led the rest of the half and led by as much as seven, 39-32, but a basket by Nathan Krill '18 with eight seconds to play cut the deficit to five entering the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan came out hot to start the second half and a steal that led to a fast-break dunk by Hutcherson capped off an 8-0 run as the Cardinals pulled ahead 42-39 with 17:15 remaining.
- The Panthers responded with four unanswered to regain a lead.
- They led by as much as five following a three-pointer by Brian Berrios, but Wesleyan went on another run and outscored Purchase 10-4 over the next several minutes as a jumper by Bonner gave the visitors a 62-61 lead.
- The game went back-and-forth down the stretch.
- After a layup by JR Bascom '18 put Wesleyan ahead 66-63, back-to-back baskets by Purchase gave the home team a 67-66 advantage.
- Seconds later, following a Cardinal turnover, Soffer went 1-of-2 from the line to give the Panthers a two-point lead with :15 on the clock. Bonner then got fouled with :01 on the clock and hit both free throws, but Soffer drilled a buzzer-beater for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bonner led the Cardinals with 17 points while Krill added 15 and Hutcherson dropped 14. Hutcherson also dished out a team-high five assists and led Wesleyan with three steals. Krill pulled in a game-high 11 rebounds for the double-double.
- Soffer led all players with 23 points as he went 6-of-8 from three-point range. Nikeem Deleon and Deshawn Cann each scored 12 points and Cann dished out a game-high seven assists. Tarik Allicock scored eight points and grabbed a team-high nine boards.
- Monday's game featured six lead changes and four ties.
- Wesleyan is back in action Wednesday, Jan. 24 and will host Farmingdale State at 7 p.m.