HARTFORD, Conn. – Three players scored in double-figures for the No. 17 Wesleyan University men's basketball team but it wasn't enough as the Cardinals were defeated by in-state NESCAC rival Trinity College on the road Friday night, 73-60.
Austin Hutcherson '21 led the way with a team-high 15 points while Antone Walker '21 added 14 and JR Bascom '18 dropped 10 as the Cardinals fell to 16-5 overall and 5-3 in conference play. The Bantams, led by Eric Gendron's game-high 18 points and Donald Jorden's double-double (16 points, 10 rebounds), improved to 14-7 and 3-4 in the league.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan held a small lead for much of the first half and went ahead by six following a three-pointer by Hutcherson at the 7:37 mark.
- However, the Bantams rallied and scored nine unanswered to take a 28-25 lead with 5:22 on the clock.
- Trinity outscored the Cardinals 18-5 in the final seven-plus minutes of the half to claim a 37-30 lead entering the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan got within three following a layup by Bascom at the 17:20 mark, but it proved to be the closest the visitors would get the rest of the way
- With 11:11 remaining in regulation, Gendron hit a three-pointer to put Trinity on top by 11—the first double-digit lead of the game.
- The Bantams would lead by 10 or more points the rest of the game as they claimed the 13-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bascom added seven rebounds to go along with his 10 points. Nathan Krill '18 led the team in rebounding with nine and Kevin O'Brien '19 dished out a game-high four assists. Wesleyan's bench scored just 15 points, with Walker contributing 14.
- Gendron was 6-of-11 from the floor and 4-of-6 from downtown. Jeremy Arthur joined him in double-figures with 13 and added four assists. The Bantams totaled 17 assists as a team with three guys recording four each.
- Despite the loss, Wesleyan controlled the glass as the Cardinals outrebounded Trinity 42-39. Both teams scored 30 points in the paint.
- Wesleyan is back in action Tuesday, Feb. 2 and will host Little Three archrival Amherst in non-conference action. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.