Regatta: Murphy Cup
Result: 5th of 6 – Petite Final Varsity 8
Location: Philadelphia, Pa.
Date: Saturday, March 25, 2017
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's crew opened its 2017 spring season Saturday as its Varsity 8 boat reached the Petite Final and finished fifth overall in a six-team field of Division I programs.
- The Cardinals' V8 finished third overall in its opening heat behind Drexel (5:56.41) and Bucknell (5:57.79) with a time of 6:00.18.
- Advancing to the Petite Final, Wesleyan placed fifth overall with a mark of 5:58.43, ahead of Lehigh who crossed the finish line in 6:10.46. Four Division I programs finished ahead of the Cardinals; Delaware (5:50.78), Bucknell (5:53.10), Rhode Island (5:54.75) and North Carolina (5:58.43).
- In the Varsity 4, Wesleyan finished first in its opening heat (7:16.56) to advance to the Final. In a field of Division I programs, the Cardinals placed sixth behind Virginia with a time of 7:08.48.
- Wesleyan also advanced to the Petite Final in the Junior Varsity 8 as its crew finished fourth in its opening heat (6:24.39) and third overall in the final (6:05.83). The Cardinals placed ahead of three Division I programs; Bucknell (6:08.20), Rhode Island (6:12.76) and Lehigh (6:24.40).
- The Cardinals are back in the water Saturday, April 1 as they are scheduled to compete against UConn and the Coast Guard Academy in Storrs, Conn.