Regatta: Wesleyan vs. Williams
Location: Pittsfield, Mass. (Onota Lake)
Date: Saturday, April 22, 2017
The Lead: For the first time since the 2007 season, the Wesleyan University men's crew defeated Little Three archrival Williams College in the Varsity 8 to capture the Little Three title. The Cardinals also claimed the 2nd Varsity 8 to win two-of-three races on Saturday morning.
- In the Varsity 8, Wesleyan narrowly edged the Ephs as it crossed the finish line in 6:12.34. Williams finished in 6:12.85.
- The Cardinals also won the 2nd Varsity 8 decisively with a time of 6:25.16 compared to the Ephs' time of 6:44.90.
- In the 3V8, Williams finished first in 6:32.01 while Wesleyan placed in 6:40.30.
HEAD COACH PHIL CARNEY:
- "All the crews handled the racing at the Little Three Regatta well today. The varsity race was close all the way, with never more than a second or two separating the crews. Our guys made their final and decisive move at just the right time to seal the win and take home the Saratoga Oar! The second varsity was dominant, and their outcome was never in question after the first 500 meters. Our third boat continues to make huge strides in their racing. We are all looking forward to getting back at the racing in short order, as we line up against Trinity and Holy Cross tomorrow morning!"
- The Cardinals return to the water tomorrow, April 23 and will compete against Trinity College and Holy Cross on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass.