Regatta: Holy Cross, Trinity, Wesleyan
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Lake Quinsigamond)
Date: Sunday, April 23, 2017
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's crew competed in a three-team regatta on Sunday morning against Trinity College and the College of Holy Cross. The Cardinals finished third overall in the Varsity 8, while taking second in the 2nd Varsity 8 and the Varsity Four.
- Holy Cross won the Varsity 8 with a time of 5:53.47, while Trinity finished shortly after in 5:58.27 and Wesleyan placed third in 6:02.47.
- In the 2nd Varsity 8, the Crusaders led all boats with a mark of 6:06.7. The Cardinals placed second in the event, crossing the finish line in 6:12.22, and the Bantams finished third in 6:21.25.
- Trinity took home first place in the Varsity Four with a time of 7:02.1, narrowly edging Wesleyan who placed in 7:04.95. Holy Cross finished third in 7:19.3.
HEAD COACH PHIL CARNEY:
- "After some exciting racing yesterday, we headed to Worcester for another tough racing opportunity with Trinity and Holy Cross. We were unable to muster the same type of intensity that had previously brought us to victory, and Division I Holy Cross along with NESCAC rival Trinity both took advantage of that. Their strong early moves pulled them away from our varsity and left us chasing their race. With an off weekend ahead we are really looking forward to, and excited about, our prospects for the New England Championships. Can't wait to race there!"
- The Cardinals have two weeks off to prepare for the New England Rowing Championships scheduled for Saturday, May 6 at Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass.