The Wesleyan University golf team opens its 2018-19 campaign this Saturday, Sept. 8 with the two-day Bill Detrick Invitational hosted by Trinity College at the Indian Hill Country Club. The Cardinals' fall schedule also features the Duke Nelson Invitational hosted by Middlebury, the Williams Fall Invitational hosted by the Ephs, and the NESCAC Championship Qualifier hosted by Wesleyan at Lyman Orchards on Saturday, Sept. 29 and Sunday, Sept. 30.
Head Coach Jeff Gilarde enters his fifth season at the helm of the program after serving as a co-head coach for five years and an assistant for six. He'll look to replace graduate student Zach Lambros as well as three seniors from last year's squad, while returning six and welcoming four newcomers.
MEET THE TEAM
- Elliot Witdorchic '20 returns to the lineup as the team's most experienced golfer. The junior from New York competed in three tournaments last year and shot a season-low 89 in the Williams Spring Invitational.
- Saadia Naeem '20 also brings veteran leadership to the squad and will look to build off an impressive Little Three Championship performance from this past spring. Naeem, as the team's only women's golfer last year, also competed in the two-day Williams Women's Spring Invitational in 2017-18.
- Witdorchic and Naeem will be joined by Bryan Chong '21 who competed in two tournaments last year as a freshman, as well as the Little Three Championship. Chong displayed an ability to fix his mistakes as his Day 2 scores were drastic improvements from the previous day in both tournaments he played in.
- The Cardinals lineup also features two, two-sport athletes in George Blinick '19 and Walker Harris '20, both members of the men's ice hockey team as well.
- Gilarde will also welcome Nate Ehrlich '19, Emma Mehta '20, Langston Morrison '21, Noah Cate '22, Eli Epstein-Lubow '22 and Meg Wiley '22.