Score: Wesleyan 3, Conn. College 1
Records: Wesleyan (1-0-0, 1-0-0 NESCAC) Conn. College (0-1-0, 0-1-0 NESCAC)
Location: New London, Conn. (Dayton Arena)
Date: Friday, November 18th
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's ice hockey team opened up its 2016-17 season with a 3-1 victory over Connecticut College on the road on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Andy Espinoza '19 got the Cardinals on the board early in the first period as he put a shot past Camels net-minder Austin Essery for the 1-0 lead. Senior captains James Kline and Rob Harbison assisted on the goal, which was scored at 4:26.
- Walker Harris '20 extended Wesleyan's lead to two goals as he took the Dylan Holze '18 pass and found the back of the net at 7:18 in the first for his first career goal.
- A goal by Chris White '19 at 10:38 in the second would bring the Cardinals' advantage to 3-0.
- The Camels would score their only goal of the game at 11:28 in the second period as Mason Evans set up William White for the goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Dawson Sprigings '17 earned the win for Wesleyan as he made 28 saves in the game.
- Essery and Tim Cooney combined to make 28 saves in net for the home team.
- Conn. held the advantage in face-offs, winning 22 of 42 draws.
- The Cardinals held a 31-29 advantage in shots in the game.
- Wesleyan will return to the ice tomorrow as they will head to Tufts to face-off with the Jumbos at 3 p.m.
- The Camels also return to action tomorrow and will host Trinity for a 3 p.m. contest.