Score: Wesleyan 5, Stonehill 1
Records: Wesleyan (5-2-0, 2-2-0 NESCAC); Stonehill (3-7-2, 1-1-0 NE 10)
Location: Foxborough, Mass. (Foxborough Sports Center)
Date: Saturday, December 10th
Time: 4:10 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's ice hockey team continued its hot start to the season as they cruised to a 5-1 victory over Stonehill College on Saturday afternoon. The Cardinals have now won four of their last five games.
- Sean Ross '19 got Wesleyan on the board first as he notched his first goal of the season at 14:59 in the first. His goal was assisted by Dylan Holze '18 and Tyler Wyatt '20.
- James Kline '17 would take advantage of a Skyhawk penalty as he scored his third goal of the season to give the Cardinals a two goal advantage at 3:42 in the second. Andy Espinoza '19 and Walker Harris '20 earned the assists on the goal.
- Wesleyan would score its third goal as Matt Horton '20 scored his first collegiate goal at 4:04. Seniors Quincy Oujevolk and Cole Morrissette both had nice passes to help set up the goal.
- Stonehill would score with 40 seconds remaining in the second period as Evan Jacques passed the puck to Cameron Wright who got the shot past Cardinals goaltender Dawson Sprigings '17 to bring the home team to within two goals at 3-1.
- Holze would bring the lead back to three goals with his second goal of the season. Wyatt got his second assist on the goal and Spencer Fox '20 also earned an assist on the goal at 14:24.
- Cam McCusker '18 added an insurance goal on the power play at 15:29 to make the score 5-1 in favor of Wesleyan. Espinoza and Chad Malinowski '19 both earned their fourth assists on the year on the goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sprigings notched his fourth win on the year as he made 28 saves in net.
- Kyle Paquette made 22 saves for the Skyhawks.
- Stonehill outshot the Cardinals 29-27.
- Wesleyan went 2-7 on the power play, while their penalty kill team held the Skyhawks to 0-3 on the day.
- The Cardinals won 42 faceoffs compared to Stonehill's 38 victories.
- Wesleyan will have an extended break before returning to the ice on Friday December 30th as they will take on Plattsburgh St. in the W.B. Mason Winter Classic. Faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.
- The Skyhawks return to action on Monday, December 12th as they will host Johnson and Wales for a 7 p.m. contest.