Score: Plattsburgh 5, Wesleyan 3
Records: Wesleyan (5-3-0, 2-2-0 NESCAC); Plattsburgh St. (6-5-0, 3-4-0 SUNYAC)
Location: Plattsburgh, N.Y. (Ronald B. Stafford Ice Arena)
Date: Friday, December 30th
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's ice hockey team fell to Plattsburgh St. 5-3 in the first round of the W.B. Mason Winter Classic on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The home team got on the board first as Matt Quilty scored at 9:36 in the first. His goal was assisted by Cam Owens and Brady Pfaff.
- Plattsburgh would increase its lead to two goals as Philip Middleton netted his first goal of the season at 4:34 in the first period.
- Wesleyan would get the deficit down to one goal as Andy Espinoza '19 scored on the man advantage at 1:29 in the second. His fifth goal of the season was assisted by James Kline '17 and Chad Malinowski '19.
- The home team would get their lead back to two goals at the 8:17 mark of the period as Jesse Neher took passes from Ross Sloan and Charles Barber, and put got the puck past Wesleyan netminder Dawson Sprigings '17 for the 3-1 lead.
- Once again the Cardinals would get the Plattsburgh lead down to one as Kline got the puck to Jordan Jancze '18 in the corner who found an open Luke Babcock '19 in front of the net. Babcock was then able to lace a shot past Joshua Davies to bring the score to 3-2 at 9:01.
- Wesleyan would tie the game at three as Espinoza set up Malinowski for his first goal on the season at 16:53 in the second.
- Plattsburgh would use two third period goals by Middleton and Ayrton Valente to seal the 5-3 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sprigings made 29 saves in the game on 34 shots.
- Wesleyan went 1-3 on the powerplay and held Plattsburgh to 0-2 with the extra skater.
- Plattsburgh won 35 faceoff opportunities to Wesleyan's 29 wins.
- Wesleyan will play Castleton University tomorrow in the consolation game at 1 p.m.
- Plattsburgh will take on Neumann in the championship game at 4 p.m.