Score: Wesleyan 4, Tufts 1
Records: Wesleyan (9-4-2, 5-3-2 NESCAC), Tufts (7-6-3, 5-4-1 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Spurrier- Snyder Rink)
Date: Saturday, January 21st
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: Two goals from Vincent Lima '19 helped lead the Wesleyan University men's ice hockey team to a 4-1 victory over Tufts University on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals got on the board first at 9:55 in the first period as Walker Harris '20 passed the puck to Chad Malinowski '19 who rifled a shot wide, however, the shot took a Wesleyan bounce and found the stick of the waiting Andy Espinoza '19 who deposited the put into the net for the 1-0 lead.
- The Cardinals would extend their lead to two goals in the second period as Lima picked up the puck and laced a shot over the glove hand of Jumbos goaltender Mason Pulde at the 3:45 mark. Lima's second goal of the year was assisted by Rob Harbison '17 and Tyler Kobryn '20.
- Cam McCusker '18 would bring the lead to 3-0 in favor of the home team as he intercepted a pass in the Tufts zone and went top shelf for his fifth goal of the season at 19:37.
- Tufts would break through in the third period on a goal by Patrick Lackey at 11:28 in the third period. His fourth goal of the season was assisted by Trevor Davis and brought the Wesleyan lead to two goals at 3-1.
- The Jumbos would pull their goaltender, and Lima would take advantage as he took the Mike Yablong '19 pass and deposited the puck into the vacant net at 18:41 to seal the 4-1 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- George Blinick '19 made 26 saves in net to earn his third victory on the season.
- The Cardinals out shot Tufts 35-27.
- Lima now has five points on the season for Wesleyan, while Harris has registered 11 points so far this year.
- Malinowski and Espinoza are tied for second on the team with 13 points.
- The Cardinals are back in action on Tuesday, January 24th as they will host Assumption College at 7 p.m.
- The Jumbos next play on Friday, January 27th against Williams College. Face-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.