Score: Wesleyan 4, Assumption 0
Records: Wesleyan (10-4-2, 5-3-2 NESCAC), Assumption (7-13-1, 3-4-0 NE10)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Spurrier-Snyder Rink)
Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2017
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: Behind three points from Cam McCusker '18 (2g, 1a), the Wesleyan University men's ice hockey team shut out Assumption College 4-0 on Tuesday night at Spurrier-Snyder Rink.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals quickly set the pace for the first period as McCusker scored just 1:32 into the game. Wesleyan took advantage of its early power play opportunity as McCusker, who was positioned right in front of the net, tipped in the James Kline '17 shot for his sixth goal of the season. Sophomore Mike Yablong also earned an assist on the play.
- Goal number two of the game for McCusker and the Cardinals would come at 12:49 as McCusker took an Andy Espinoza '19 pass and put it past Greyhound net minder David Zulauf for the two goal lead. Freshman Walker Harris notched his seventh assist on the goal as well.
- The home team would add their third goal of the period at 17:11 as Kline gathered the rebound off a Marty Rubin '18 shot and put it past Zulauf for his sixth goal of the year. McCusker also earned an assist on the goal.
- Wesleyan would add another goal in the third period as Rob Harbison '17 sent the puck to Quincy Oujevolk '17 who found Cole Morrissette '17 skating down towards the front of the net, and Morrissette was able to convert the score at 13:04.
- The Cardinals would hold Assumption off and win 4-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- George Blinick '19 earned his fourth win in net as he made 18 saves. The shutout is his third this season.
- The three points for McCusker bring his season total to nine. His seven goals now lead the team.
- Kline's two points give him 17 so far in his senior campaign for Wesleyan.
- Zulauf made 31 saves in goal for Assumption.
- The Cardinals are back on the ice Friday, January 27th as they will take on Little Three rival Amherst College at 7 p.m.
- The Greyhounds return to action on Saturday, January 28th against Southern New Hampshire. The game is scheduled to begin at 7:35 p.m.