Score: Wesleyan 2, Amherst 2
Records: Wesleyan (10-4-3, 5-3-3 NESCAC), No. 12 Amherst (11-3-2, 6-3-2 NESCAC)
Location: Amherst, Mass. (Orr Rink)
Date: Friday, January 27th
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's hockey team found themselves behind 2-0 against No. 12 Amherst, but the Cardinals rallied to score two goals of their own as they tied their Little Three rival, 2-2 on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Little Three rivals would play a scoreless first period.
- The Purple and White would score the first two goals of the game early in the second period. The first goal at 1:46 was scored by Austin Ho with an assist by Joey Lupo.
- Just over two minutes later at 3:58, Amherst would extend its lead to two goals as Thomas Lindstrom was able to get the puck past Cardinals goaltender Dawson Sprigings '17 to put the home team up 2-0. Patrick Daly and David White were given assists on the goal.
- Wesleyan would cut the Amherst lead in half as James Kline '17 set up Walker Harris '20 for the power play goal at 6:33. Chad Malinowski '19 also earned an assist on the goal.
- With 30 seconds remaining in the second, Harris would tie the game as he took passes from Kline and Cam McCusker '18 and put the puck past Amherst goaltender Connor Girard.
- The two teams would play a scoreless third and head into OT tied at 2.
- Both teams put up some good scoring opportunitiesin the extra frame, but neither could convert and the game would end in a 2-2 draw.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals went 2-4 on the power play while holding Amherst to 0-4 with the extra skater.
- Sprigings made 24 saves in goal.
- The two goals for Harris bring his season total up to seven.
- Kline's two assists give him 13 on the year to lead the team while his 19 points are also tops on team.
- The Cardinals will head to Hamilton tomorrow to take on the Continentals. Puck drop is scheduled for 3 p.m.
- The Purple and White are also back in action tomorrow as they will host Trinity for a 3 p.m. contest.