Score: Wesleyan 3, No. 8 Hamilton 3
Records: Wesleyan (10-4-3, 5-3-3 NESCAC), No. 8 Hamilton (12-2-4, 6-2-4 NESCAC)
Location: Hamilton, N.Y. (Russell Sage Rink)
Date: Saturday, January 28th
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's ice hockey team played No. 8 Hamilton College to a 3-3 tie on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals would score all of their goals in the first period.
- Wesleyan's first goal came on the power play as Mike Yablong '19 netted his first goal of the season at 5:46. The goal was assisted by Dylan Holze '18 and Vincent Lima '19.
- Chad Malinowski '19 would give the Cardinals a two goal advantage at 16:42 as he got the puck past Continentals goaltender Evan Buitenhuis. James Kline '17 and Spencer Fox '20 were credited with assists on the score.
- Holze would notch his second point of the game as he scored with less than a minute remaining in the period. Cam McCusker '18 and Walker Harris '20 earned assists on Holze's seventh goal of the season.
- Hamilton would cut the lead down to two goals in the second period at 3:57 as Brad Smelstor got the puck past George Blinick '19 to bring the Continentals to within two goals at 3-1. His goal was assisted by Nick Ursitti.
- Ursitti would get another assist in the third as he setup Brandon Willett for the goal at 0:17 to bring the home team to within one goal at 3-2.
- Willett would tie the game at 3:53 as he took a pass from Conor Lamberti and put it past Blinick.
- Neither team would be able to convert in the overtime period and the game would end in a 3-3 tie.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Blinick made 36 saves in goal.
- Buitenhuis made 24 saves in net.
- Kline now has 20 points on the season to lead the team, while Walker and Malinowski are tied for second with 15 each.
- Wesleyan held Hamilton scoreless on the power play as they were 0-3 on the afternoon.
- The Cardinals return to the ice on Friday, February 3rd as they will head to Middlebury for a 7 p.m. contest.
- The Continentals will also return to action on Friday, Feb. 3rd as they will travel to Waterville, Maine to take on Colby for a 7 p.m. game.