Score: Wesleyan 3, Williams 2
Records: Wesleyan (11-5-4, 6-4-4), Williams (11-6-3, 8-3-3 NESCAC)
Location: Williamstown, Mass. (Lansing Chapman Rink)
Date: Saturday, February 4th
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's ice hockey team scored two goals in 24 seconds in the third period, as they came from behind to defeat Little Three rival Williams by a score of 3-2 on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Ephs would score first as Tyler Young scored at 9:03 to give the home team the 1-0 lead. His seventh goal of the season was assisted by Roberto Cellini and David Italiano.
- The Cardinals would tie it at one as Elliot Polur '19 sent a pass to Chad Malinowski '19 who got the shot past Williams' netminder Michael Pinios at 17:21.
- The two Little Three rivals played a scoreless second period with the Ephs holding a 10-5 advantage in shots.
- Max Fuld broke the scoreless tie 55 seconds into the third as he took an Italiano pass and put the puck past Wesleyan goaltender Geroge Blinick '19 for the 2-1 lead.
- The Cardianls would make their comeback, scoring two goals in a 24 second span.
- The first Wesleyan goal came at 14:20 as Cam McCusker '18 sent a pass to Theo Tydingco '18, who rifled a shot past Pinios for his third score of the year to tie the game at two.
- At 14:44 Chris White '19 would take the puck and put it past the glove of Pinios for the game-winner. The goal was White's first on the year, and it would seal the come-from-behind win for the Cardinals.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Blinick earned his fifth win on the season as he made 33 saves in the game.
- The Wesleyan penalty kill, which currently ranks tops in Division III was stellar once again, as they held Williams scoreless on two power play opportunities.
- Malinowski is now tied for second on the team with 15 points.
- The Cardinals will return to the ice on Friday, February 10th as they will host Bowdoin College for a 7 p.m. contest.
- The Ephs will next play on Friday, February 10th as they will play at Middlebury at 7 p.m.