Score: Colby 3, Wesleyan 2
Records: Wesleyan (12-6-4, 7-5-4 NESCAC), No. 13/15 Colby (11-6-4, 9-3-3 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Spurrier-Snyder Rink)
Date: Saturday, February 11
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's ice hockey team scored two third period goals, but it wasn't enough to pull off the upset, as No. 13/15 Colby College came away with the 3-2 victory on Saturday afternoon at Spurrier-Snyder Rink.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In what was a scoreless first period, James Kline '17 would have the best scoring opportunity for the Cardinals, but his stuff-in attempt was thwarted by Sean Lawrence.
- The Mules would break the scoreless tie in the second period as Cam McDonald tipped the puck to Phil Klitirinos who got it to Michael Rudolf who went glove side top corner for the goal at 2:24.
- The visitors would continue to pressure George Blinick '19 in net, but the sophomore net minder held strong, allowing just the one goal.
- Colby would bring its lead to two goals at 3:52 in the third as McDonald scored his fifth goal of the year off passes from Mark Leprine and EJ Rauseo. McDonald was able to gather the rebound and put the puck past Blinick for the 2-0 lead.
- Skating with a man advantage, Cam McCusker '18 would bring Wesleyan to within one as he put a shot past Lawrence at 5:41 to make the score 2-1. Chad Malinowski '19 and Walker Harris '20 earned assists on McCusker's eighth goal on the season.
- A short while later at 8:25, the visitors would bring their lead back to two goals as Rudolf scored his second goal of the game. Klitrinos and Leprine were given assists on Rudolf's seventh goal of the season.
- Blinick would vacate the net for an extra attacker and the Cardinals would take advantage as Theo Tydingco's '18 shot hit the pipe, but Kline found the puck sitting right on the goal line and put it into the back of the net to bring the home team back to within one goal with 42 seconds left in the game. Harris would notch his 12th assist on Kline's eighth goal on the year.
- Wesleyan kept the pressure on, but could not get the game tying goal, and the Mules would leave with the 3-2 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Blinick suffered just his second loss on the year as he made 22 saves.
- Kline now has 23 points on the year, while Walker has contributed 20 points in his freshman campaign.
- The Cardinals' penalty kill continued to excel as it held Colby to 0-4 with the extra skater. Wesleyan has killed off 94.4% of its opponent's power play chances, which is tops in Division III.
- Lawrence notched his fourth win this season as he made 36 saves in the game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Prior to the game, Welsleyan announced the formation of the Jim Langlois Coaches Endowment Fund, in memory of the longtime coach who passed away last year.
- The Cardinals are back in action on Friday, February 17th as they will host Trinity College for a 7 p.m. game. Prior to the game, Wesleyan will honor its six senior in a senior night ceremony.
- The Mules will next play on Friday as well as they will take on Connecticut College at 7 p.m.