MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – A strong second half performance by the Wesleyan University men's lacrosse team propelled the Cardinals to a 13-7 win over non-conference opponent Roger Williams University Wednesday afternoon at Citrin Field.
Roger Williams: 1-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a competitive first half, in which the Cardinals held a 7-6 lead, Wesleyan controlled the final 30 minutes of action and held the Hawks to just one goal during that time. The Cardinals outscored Roger Williams 6-1 in the second half.
- Taylor Ghesquiere '18 led Wesleyan with three goals, while Christian Barker '19 and Quentin DellaFera '16 added two apiece. Barker's big day also included an assist, a caused turnover, and a team-high five ground balls. Ben Shively '18 added five ground balls as well, and scored a goal. Ten different Cardinals factored into the scoring Wednesday, as Ted Bergman made 11 saves between the posts.
- Roger Williams was led by Eric Valenti, who scored two goals and registered an assist, and Jake Wygonik who posted game-highs of six ground balls and three caused turnovers. Connor Carroll made 16 saves in net for the Hawks.
- Wesleyan held a 41-27 lead in ground balls, and won 16-of-24 face offs. The Cardinals also held a commanding 58-30 advantage in shots.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- The game went back-and-forth early and often as both teams exchanged goals, with the Hawks scoring the first and last score of the first quarter to take a 3-2 lead after one.
- Wesleyan came out hot to start the second and scored just 1:17 into play, as Barker found Ghesquiere for the score.
- Roger Williams retaliated 1:11 later as Siefert found the back of the net off an assist from Valenti.
- After two more goals from Roger Williams put the visitor's ahead, 6-5, Barker tallied back-to-back scores for Wesleyan. He knotted the game at the 5:05 mark off an assist from Niall Devaney '16, and under two minutes later he was in the right spot at the right time as he caught the rebound off a Wesleyan shot attempt and immediately sent one into the back of the net as the Cardinals held a 7-6 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- It was all Wesleyan in the second half as they controlled the tempo for much of the final 30 minutes.
- The Cardinals scored three goals in the third quarter, and held Roger Williams scoreless as they went ahead, 10-6.
- DellaFerra added two more Wesleyan goals at the 9:44 and 5:02 mark of the fourth quarter to cap off an 8-0 run by the home team as they cruised in the final minutes to the six-point non-conference victory.
- The Cardinals are back in NESCAC action Saturday, March 12 and will head to Hamilton. The game is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.