Score: Wesleyan 1, Tufts 0
Records: Wesleyan: 4-2-1 (1-2-0 NESCAC), Tufts: 3-3-1 (1-1-1 NESCAC)
Location: Medford, Mass. (Bello Field)
Date: Tuesday, September 27th
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: Nick Jackson's '18 goal late in the first half would be more than enough, as the Wesleyan University men's soccer team claimed their first NESCAC victory of the season, shutting out Tufts, 1-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Jackson put the Cardinals on the board as he took a pass from Charlie Gruner '17 off a free kick and put a header past Jumbos net minder, Scott Greenwood, at 44:43 to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.
- Kevin Halliday would attempt to tie the game in the 86th minute, but his shot was saved by Wesleyan goalkeeper Jack Katkavich '17 to seal the 1-0 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Tufts outshot Wesleyan 19-6, however the Jumbos only put five shots on net while the Cardinals put three on goal.
- The home team also held the edge in corner kicks at 4-2.
- Katkavich earned the shutout victory, giving him three wins on the year. He stopped all five shots he faced.
- Danny Rubenstein '17 accounted for the other two shots on net in the game for the Cardinals.
- The Cardinals will return to action on Saturday, October 1st as they welcome Hamilton College to Jackson Field for a 1:30 p.m. contest
- The Jumbos are back on the field on Saturday as well as they will host Amherst College at 2:30 p.m.