Score: Trinity 2, Wesleyan 1
Records: Wesleyan (4-4-1, 1-4-0 NESCAC), Trinity (4-4-0, 2-4-0 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Jackson Field)
Date: Sunday, October 2nd
Time: 1 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's soccer team controlled the ball for the majority of the game, however, they were defeated by the Trinity College Bantams, 2-1.
- The visitors got on the board just 3:50 into the game as Henry Farr put a pass left to right for Sam Milbury, who got ahead of his defender and put the ball in the back of the net for the 1-0 advantage.
- Around the 14-minute mark, the Cardinals put the pressure on the Bantams defense as Mike Gallo '20 got past his defender on the right side and sent a shot on net that was stopped by Domenic Quade.
- Trinity would get on the board again as Oliver Murphy found the back of the net off a penalty kick at 14:26 for the 2-0 lead.
- Early in the second half, Garrett Hardesty '18 gained control of the ball inside the circle, but his shot would go wide of the net.
- Minutes later, Jack Katkavich '17 would make a great diving save to keep the visitor's lead at two.
- Milbury would have another scoring opportunity in the second half as he broke away from the defense and was one-on-one with Katkavich, but his kick would sail high.
- Jack Wolf '20 would take a corner kick at 60:56 and set up Charlie Gruner '17 for the shot, but Quade made a great save and punched the ball over the crossbar.
- In the 72nd minute, Alec Haas '20 would take a Taylor Chin '18 throw in, and lift the shot over the head of Quade to bring the home team to within one at 2-1.
- Trinity would have a few more chances to extend their lead, but the Cardinals defense wouldn't allow it, and the visitors would go onto win 2-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Shots were even at 15 all, however Wesleyan held a sizable advantage in corner kicks at 10-1.
- Katkavich made three saves in the game while Quade made five.
- Gruner and Gallo each put two shots on net for the home team.
- Wesleyan returns to the field on Saturday October 8th as they will head to Colby for a 1:30 p.m. contest.
- The Bantams will next play on Wednesday, October 5th as they will host Wheaton (Mass.) for a 4 p.m. contest.