Scores: Wesleyan 5, Bowdoin 4
Records: Wesleyan (10-9); Bowdoin (5-15)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Harvard)
Date: Saturday, February 18, 2017
Time: 9 a.m.
The Lead: In their third meeting this season, the 26th-ranked Wesleyan University men's squash team edged No. 27 Bowdoin College, 5-4, in the semifinals of the 2017 CSA National Team Championships Conroy Cup (D Division) Saturday morning. With the win, the Cardinals advance to the finals and will play No. 25 Hobart College tomorrow at Harvard beginning at 9 a.m.
- Wesleyan picked up wins in the No. 1 and 2 positions from seniors Chris Hart and David Sneed, respectively. Hart defeated Ian Squiers in a close 3-0 sweep (13-11, 14-12, 11-4), while Sneed defeated James Paolella 3-0 by scores of 11-7, 11-8, 11-8.
- In the No. 4 spot, Grant Lounsbury '17 claimed a 3-1 win over Sebastian Kim. Lounsbury took a 2-0 lead with wins of 12-10, 11-7, however, Kim responded with an 11-7 win in set three before Lounsbury claimed the match with an 11-6 victory in the fourth game.
- Freshmen William Bienstock and Alex Dreyfus picked up two wins at the bottom of the lineup. Bienstock narrowly defeated Arjun Dravid in a come-from-behind thriller in the No. 8 spot, 3-2 (15-13, 13-15, 8-11, 11-8, 11-8), while Dreyfus swept Andrew Phillips in the No. 9 position, 3-0 (11-4, 11-4, 11-3).
- Saturday's match was the third meeting between Wesleyan and Bowdoin this season, with the Cardinals claiming a 2-1 advantage in the series. The Polar Bears took the first match, 5-4 on Jan. 11, but Wesleyan responded with a 9-0 sweep in the NESCAC Championships on Feb. 5.
- The Cardinals will face Hobart at 9 a.m. Sunday in the Conroy Cup (D Division) finals. The match will take place at Harvard University.
- Bowdoin will play Tufts tomorrow at 9 a.m. in the 3/4 Playoff spot. The match will be held at the Brooks School in North Andover, Mass.